AC Voltage Calculator
Block ads by default when you upgrade.
AC Voltage Terms
- Peak Voltage (VPK) The maximum instantaneous value of a function as measured from the zero-volt level. For the waveform shown above, the peak amplitude and peak value are the same, since the average value of the function is zero volts.
- Peak-to-Peak Voltage (VPP) The full voltage between positive and negative peaks of the waveform; that is, the sum of the magnitude of the positive and negative peaks.
- RMS Voltage (Vrms) The root-mean-square or effective value of a waveform, equivalent to a DC voltage that would provide the same amount of heat generation in a resistor as the AC voltage would if applied to that same resistor.
- Average Voltage (Vavg) The level of a waveform defined by the condition that the area enclosed by the curve above this level is exactly equal to the area enclosed by the curve below this level.
- RMS is not an "Average" voltage, and its mathematical relationship to peak voltage varies depending on the type of waveform.
- The RMS value is the square root of the mean (average) value of the squared function of the instantaneous values.
- Since an AC voltage rises and falls with time, it takes more AC voltage to produce a given RMS voltage than it would for DC. For example, it would take 169 volts peak AC to achieve 120 volts RMS (.707 x169).
- Most multi-meters, either voltmeters or ammeters, measure RMS value assuming a pure sinusoidal waveform.
AC Voltage Formulas
- VPK = 0.5 x VPP
- VPK = 1.414 x Vrms
- VPK = 1.571 x Vavg
- VPP = 2 x VPK
- VPP = 2.828 x Vrms
- VPP = 3.141 x Vavg
- Vrms = 0.707 x VPK
- Vrms = 0.353 x VPP
- Vrms = 1.111 x Vavg
- Vavg = 0.637 x VPK
- RMS Voltage to Peak Voltage
- RMS Voltage to Peak-to-Peak Voltage
- RMS Voltage to Average Voltage
- Peak Voltage to Peak-to-Peak Voltage
- Peak Voltage to Average Voltage
- Average Voltage to Peak-to-Peak Voltage
📚 Tired of juggling multiple tools and references in the field? Simplify your testing process with our productivity suite. From comprehensive calculators to electronic test forms, the TestGuy Pro App keeps you organized and productive.